Friday, April 25-
Why can't you always be like this? the most joyful, happy, heart-melting little baby in the world... Here, you are in your new jumper, playing with some plastic links (you favorite!), and you are in your happiest heaven. Life is good. Mom is near, you control your destiny with those sturdy little legs of yours, and the satisfying rattle of the chains on your plastic tray rival the thick chewy smoothness of the links in your mouth for favorite sensory experience. Ahhh.....So why then, do we have those rare days like THIS?
Sunday, April 27-You have been overtired and fighting your naps all day long. I know that going to a three-hour church block throws you off a lot, but we've done better on past Sundays. Sometimes Dad is even able to get you to sleep in your pumpkin seat for a brief time when we are still at church. But not today. Today every time Dad or I tried to lay you in your crib with the usual song and snuggle beforehand, you'd MELT DOWN into the most heartbreaking tears... You'd move so quickly into the shuddery type of cry that we'd barely have time to rush back in to rescue you before your breakdown reached epic proportions.
You know when you sleep well, you feel so much happier and peaceful! Why fight the naps? It only makes the whole day worse for you and for you loving parents. It makes us so sad to hear such sad cries-- cries we hardly EVER hear at the magnitude you cried today. Your little post-cry shudders nearly made Mom cry, little one! So of course we snuggled you and rocked you and hugged you and let you stay awake... Though we knew that sleep was the best thing for you. If you were going to be so pitiful when left alone, we weren't going to force the issue. Not today.
So now, finally, you have had your soothing bath and your familiar bedtime ritual, and finally you are snuggled up to your lovey blanket, asleep in your crib. Finally we feel peace in our hearts that you are getting the rest you need. We wish you the sweetest dreams and the deepest, most restful sleep possible.
We are so blessed to have you. Even on the tough days, you are our miracle. And actually, thanks for the extra snuggles today. Now that the meltdowns are done, the reflection of all that yummy holding time is warming my heart.
Still... let's try for better naps tomorrow, okay? We'll ALL be much happier!
Love,
Mom
You know when you sleep well, you feel so much happier and peaceful! Why fight the naps? It only makes the whole day worse for you and for you loving parents. It makes us so sad to hear such sad cries-- cries we hardly EVER hear at the magnitude you cried today. Your little post-cry shudders nearly made Mom cry, little one! So of course we snuggled you and rocked you and hugged you and let you stay awake... Though we knew that sleep was the best thing for you. If you were going to be so pitiful when left alone, we weren't going to force the issue. Not today.
So now, finally, you have had your soothing bath and your familiar bedtime ritual, and finally you are snuggled up to your lovey blanket, asleep in your crib. Finally we feel peace in our hearts that you are getting the rest you need. We wish you the sweetest dreams and the deepest, most restful sleep possible.
We are so blessed to have you. Even on the tough days, you are our miracle. And actually, thanks for the extra snuggles today. Now that the meltdowns are done, the reflection of all that yummy holding time is warming my heart.
Still... let's try for better naps tomorrow, okay? We'll ALL be much happier!
Love,
Mom
5 comments:
This is so sweet. I often wonder why they fight their naps too. Kason does it still and he's almost 15 months!! If they would only remember how good and happy they feel AFTER the naps! And, if they only knew that naps are a luxury once they get older.
I LOVE the pic of him in his bouncy thing. That is one of the biggest smiles I think I've ever seen on a baby!! SO CUTE!
Awww, we've been there! I'm curious at what age we switched from fighting naps to begging to get to take one.
I love that you take photos of crying-Noah as well as SUPER-happy Noah...Your little guy is so expressive. And what an amazing smile! I laughed out loud when it loaded on the screen.
Sorry today was so unhappy for him. I'm even like that *now*...when I am at my most bone-deep tired, as if the only thing my body could possibly do is fall into a merciful slumber, sleep will never come, and I get so mad I could cry.
My little gal is feeling a bit like that today... jsut "off" I'm thinking it must have to do with a growth spurt or teeth...
Hey, how's that turtle blanket of yours going? I am dying to see some pics or drawing of your idea. I am going to a shower this week and wanted to make a bitty-blankie as a gift, and I thought something in a shape would be oh so fun. I could figure out how to do a butterfly, but since it's a boy baby, that might not fly.
Anyway, hope it's going well!
You guys are so amazing. This makes me want to cry that my little Joren has about 6 pictures taken of him so far and they are not that good. Not because he's not adorable, but because I suck with my little camera and I'm not as creative as you are. Thanks for the inspiration. I have to do better. thanks for the kick in the pants. You rock!
Post a Comment